Working with Travis CI

This week I was trying to add the travis CI component to my test repo. The setting up doesn't take too long to figure out. In my case, since I'm only using node JS, all I need was just to specify the node js version in my travis.yml file.

In my opinion, CI tools are very useful when you trying to manage a open-source project with thousands of contributors. For example, you can use travis to automate the build process before you merge others code into your master branch. If the code was incompatible with the existing system then the travis will detect the error and merge can be blocked.
On the other hand, you can use travis to make sure all dependencies are being installed by stating the scripts in the .yml file. Basically, I think travis works as if a real person who does things based on the instructions you give.
Image when thousands of people working on the same project, they may all have different coding styles. Without CI, your repo may become messed up.

Below is the travis building page that is linked to my repo. I'm so glad to learn this tool which will be beneficial to my future career and the experience with travis may also help me from managing my own repos.
https://travis-ci.org/feihaozi77/BuildingJSLibrary

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Working with gh-pages

DPS909 Lab6/7